Date Listed 25/11/2014
LocationCity Centre, Cape Town
Advertised By Agency
Job Type Full-Time
Exceptionally exclusive property designed for the ultimate discerning traveller, seeks to attract the specialist service skills of a Wine steward. This is a permanent appointment with generous basic salary, pension fund and medical aid contributions, free uniform, free meals on duty and superior training.
Key performance areas include:
· Assist with monthly stock takes and investigate discrepancies in conjunction with Sommelier
· Daily hosting of tastings for guests
· Daily stock takes of bar and assist in managing beverage and Wine stock
· Engaging guests in conversations about personal wine preferences, items on the food menu etc., resulting in wine recommendations, as opposed to mere order taking. This includes guided trips to the wine cellars.
· Ensure that all drinks are served in the correct glasses, at the correct temperature and where applicable with the correct garnish.
· Ensure that cellars are stocked (within par level quantities) and communicating shortages and ‘out of stocks’ to Sommelier
· Ensuring set up is done – Lunch, dinner and functions, Glasses, decanters, gueridon, Wine tasting, Bar and cocktail setup – equipment, glassware & stock (including stock rotation – FIFO)
· Keep cellars stocked in a clean and orderly manner
· Keep wine cellars in immaculate appearance and order.
· Liaising with the Executive Chef with regards to menu items, in order to ensure best possible wine pairing experience for guests, and communicating suggestions to other service staff
· Maintaining a high profile and tactful personal manner with guests during service times
· Monitor temperature and humidity on daily basis, to ensure ideal conditions for ageing and service
· Offering digestifs after dinner
· Planning and Organising the wine tours, for interested guests
· Promoting wine tours to Stellenbosch and Constantia
· Receiving, checking and unpacking orders – inform Sommelier of any discrepancies
· Serving wine & champagne and ensuring regular top up during service
· To keep abreast of wine industry innovations, trends, new suppliers and products at all times
Selection criteria include:
· Completion of a formal wine qualification, preferably internationally recognized, e.g. WSET Level 3
· Minimum 3 years industry related (wine service) practical experience in a 5* or similar environment
· Attention to detail
· Computer literate, including MICROS, Word, Excel, OPERA (beneficial)
· Excellent knowledge about South African wines, wine regions and vineyards, varietals, vintages
· Fluent in spoken and written English
· Knowledge of bar set up and cocktails, beers, spirits, cellar management and international wines
· Must be able to speak with authority – e.g. know when wines are too young, or have gone bad.
· Strong time management skills
· Superior interpersonal skills – Must be able to communicate with international guests