The Michaelis School of Fine Art seeks to appoint a Gallery Curator at the Michaelis Gallery from 1 January 2014 or soon as possible thereafter. This position is to develop and run a curatorial and exhibition programme on the Hiddingh Campus that is both integrated into the teaching programmes of the Michaelis School of Fine Art and contributes to the development of curatorship as an area of study. The Gallery Curator will also be seen as central to the public presentation of creative work done at the School. The Michaelis Gallery hosts local, international student exhibitions. While it operates within an academic context working with staff, students and postgraduate projects, it also aims to host exhibitions that we consider to be at the forefront of national and global curatorial practice.
· An MFA (or appropriate postgraduate qualification)
· Professional experience in an appropriate field
· At least 2 years in a gallery context, or in managing or initiating curatorial projects.
· A proven record of achievement in curating exhibitions at a high level
· A knowledge of trends and experience of current developments in contemporary art practice in critical and academic contexts
· A proven track record in project management
· Excellent public relations skills
The following skills will be advantageous.
· Fundraising experience
· Research and writing skills
· The ability to work across disciplines
The incumbent would be responsible for administrative, logistical and practical support for academic staff in staging creative projects, as well as assisting with fundraising and income generation. The Curator will be expected to develop a dynamic and exciting programme of exhibitions and installations that will advance the profile of art and creative research in the city. In addition the Curator will be required to work with students on curating exhibitions of their practical studiowork and research projects. The School has an interest in not only the making and exhibiting of contemporary fine art, but also in curatorship as a creative process and in the development of cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary projects.
· Developing, along with a Michaelis-based committee, a programme of events and exhibitions
· Managing the gallery and exhibition calendar
· Assisting academic staff and students with curating and staging of creative projects
· Managing the budget and financial affairs of the gallery
· Assisting with staging projects under the auspices of the Gordon Institute of Performing and Creative Arts (GIPCA), the Centre for Curating the Archive and other departments
· Curatorial responsibility for managing the graduate exhibition
The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is between R 273 662 and R 321 923.
To apply, please submit
· A digital curatorial portfolio of work with a link or attachment of no bigger than 5MB.
Please e-mail your application clearly indicating“Gallery Curator” followed by the reference number in the subject line to Ms. Lily Nombombo at email@example.com
Address: Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7700.
Telephone: +27 21 650 5084 Departmental website: www.michaelis.uct.ac.za
Reference number: SR046/14 Closing date: 25 July 2014
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf