Amazon Dev Centre South Africa
ZA, Cape Town
Amazon Development Centre South Africa is looking for passionate, experienced software developers to join us and help to solve a challenging set of problems in space packed full of opportunities. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. The Cape Town based Development Center plays a key role in building the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2).
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is the web service that is pioneering cloud computing by providing resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It gives any developer complete control of their computing resources and lets them run on Amazon’s proven computing environment. We are continuing to build the team in order to expand on our feature set and manage our rapidly increasing scale.
AWS is focused on improving the usability of the tools and management applications used by EC2 customers. If you are a front end web engineer wanting to create the most responsive and usable web interfaces around, then join us at the Amazon Development Centre in Cape Town, South Africa. We are making history by defining the Cloud Computing User Experience for millions of people world-wide.
The EC2 User Experience (UX) team is responsible for the Web Interface (https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/home) which is used by customers to manage all aspects of their EC2 instances. The major focus of the UX team is to streamline the user experience for customers managing very large numbers of resources. This is an opportunity to have a huge impact in determining the future technical direction and the user experience/interaction design.
Creating the perfect user experience in the web environment requires a blend of technical knowledge, customer obsession and agility. You should be somebody who is interested in how the various components, browsers, networks, protocols and web servers, work together to create the user experience. There are lots of challenges that can be solved by applying your knowledge of front end development frameworks and best practices. This role will allow you to refine and develop your skills by having access to other exceptional engineers and teams.
The ideal candidate is obsessive about creating the perfect user experience for millions of users and has a mindset of continuous improvement. Creating the perfect user experience on the web requires a blend of technical knowledge, customer obsession and agility. Our web systems need to be extremely responsive and highly-scalable. If working in a dynamic and delivery focused environment interests you, this is the perfect role.
· Analysis and design of new features and interfaces for the web
· Optimizing current products to improve its performance and usability
· Support, troubleshooting and resolving of critical issues in production
· Working with a team, to achieve the ultimate user experience
· Analyzing application and user metrics to define our team strategy
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer.
· At least a four year degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent
· Knowledge and appreciation of web standards
· Working knowledge of relational databases and back-end programming
· Strong customer focus
· 8+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
· Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
· Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C++, C#, Java, Python or Ruby
· Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals
· Expertise in delivering high-quality, innovative applications
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
· Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
· Excellent written communication and verbal agility are strong assets.
· 10+ years of industry experience in a Linux environment.