Team Leader: Home Loans Foreclosure – Cape Town
- May 17 2017
- South Africa
- Western Cape
- Cape Town
Group Shared Services: driving operational excellence, transparency and continuous improvement across our business, by leveraging scale, capabilities and innovation.
• To assist the Legal Manager in the management of incoming Non Performing Debtors’ Book in accordance with the set / agreed strategy; thereby leading the team in maintaining the effective and consistent reduction of the volumes, value and provisions by ensuring that
• Accounts are finalised and recovery exhausted within the set turnaround times.
• Quality assurance is maximized on the day to day handling of the matters by the Legal Foreclosure Officers and thereby complying with the set workflow guidelines and regulatory requirements.
• Implementation and follow through of set strategies in maximizing the collections on the Non Performing Loan Book.
• Provisions raised are reduced and contained within the set targets. Assessments are updated in accordance with policy.
• Managing the age of the book in line with the required time value of money and provision adequacy levels.
• Liaising with the Legal Cancellation and or Marketing/PIP Departments in an effort to facilitate for the effective and speedy resolution of the matters on the overall legal work-lists.
• Limiting write offs.
• Monitoring and controlling of the allocated budget on attorneys costs, agents’ costs and legal fees.
• Providing relevant and accurate stats on the portfolio to management and the executive.
• Providing information pertaining to the trends, challenges and concerns experienced in the industry to management and the executive.
• To manage the legal and deceased prevention processes in an effort to finalize the desired action / process within the set turnaround times.
• To create a climate that is conductive to learning, maximize effective performance and optimizes team work.
• Any ad hoc function as required by management.
• Contribute to and influence the positive outcome of the set monthly Income Statement Charge (driving for rehabilitations, normalizations, high offers on cancellations and subsequently minimizing write offs);
• Implement set strategies & targets appropriate for the reduction of NPLs in line with the Bank’s Vision & Values and Personal & Business Banking Credit’s mission statement (preservation of quality assets);
• Liaise with external / internal service providers in an effort to create and maintain clarity with regard to the levels of expectations between the department and the respective service providers (acting in accordance with the agreed to and the signed service level agreements);
• Facilitate a discussion platform / forum with Business Stakeholders and Legal Counterparts within Personal & Business banking Credit and Customer Debt Management to exchange relevant information pertaining to trends, challenges and concerns experienced in the industry and impacting on collection strategies;
• To closely monitor the progress on defended matters and continuously engage the relevant
• attorneys to facilitate for an out of court settlement that would be beneficial to the bank and the client;
• To attend public auctions, creditors’ meetings, interrogations and enquiries to protect the bank’s interest;
• To build a relationship with 3rd party attorneys and or relevant stakeholders in an effort to facilitate for a speedy resolution and settlement proposals that would be beneficial both to the bank and the client;
• To put in place performance contracting measures and to guide the team in achieving their targets and being in line with the set key performance indicators;
• To conduct quality assurance checks, work-lists and audits and resolution of Gijima / Ombudsman queries in an effort to determine that the Legal Officers’ knowledge, skills and experience is in line with the required level;
• To facilitate performance discussions with the Legal Foreclosure Officers when the performance produced is not in line with the agreed standards and expectations;
• To advise management on the knowledge and skill’s gap evident in the Legal Foreclosure Officers’ performance and facilitate for the relevant and required training;
• To provide coaching and on the job training to Legal Foreclosure Officers to address immediate performance gaps.
• To conduct monthly (informal), half yearly (formal) and year end performance review discussions / appraisals.
• Conduct bi-monthly one-on-one discussions with the Legal Foreclosure Officers to establish any issues that might have a tendency to adversely affect performance and put proactive measures in place to address the issue(s);
• To monitor and improve on the discipline in the workplace (late coming, private telephone calls and or dress code);
• To participate in and contribute to projects / initiatives by the Bank / Credit / Customer Debt Management in an endeavour to anticipate and counter future challenges;
• To provide collections advise to other departments within the Home Loans environment.
• To mediate for a speedy resolution to customer complaints that might have a potential of exposing the Bank to financial and reputational risk;
• Compliance with statutory, regulatory and supervisory requirements, protect the reputation of the Group and to avoid legal action / sanction in respect of regulatory compliance matters;
• Increasing awareness amongst staff of legislation applicable to the business;
• Maintaining high ethical standards to prevent market abuse;
• Monitoring adherence to internal controls and regulatory requirements and enhancing procedures, in need;
• To utilize MIS in order to track progress on the overall legal portfolio and pressure points for effective management;
• Ensure that the office is cleared of all files and other material to ensure that no one has easy access to confidential bank information;
• Manage and minimize costs (attorneys, OCA’s, etc);
• Liaise with various service providers to enhance performance and service delivery;
• Ensure that the relevant management reports have been collated and ready for presentation to management and executive as per set time lines;
• Consolidate and make available the weekly and monthly departmental stats;
• Provide trends and or challenge facing the business.
Key performance measure
• Monitoring adherence to internal controls and regulatory requirements and enhancing procedures, in need.
• Accountable for collection rates to be maintained at an agreed percentage of gross monthly average assets under management.
• Accountable for Net IS Charge to be managed within agreed budget in relation to total performing assets.
• Ongoing communication with staff regarding the need to ensure continual compliance.
• Compliance with statutory, regulatory and supervisory requirements, to protect the reputation of the Group and to avoid legal action / sanction in respect of regulatory compliance matters.
• Maintaining high ethical standards to prevent market abuse.
• Increasing awareness amongst staff of legislation applicable to the business.
• Reporting any breaches and exposures to the business unit head and/or the division’s Regulatory Compliance Officer.
• To monitor, manage and control within budget or alternatively agreed guidelines:-
• Provision adequacy;
• Bad debt recoveries;
• Outsourcing; and
• Operational expenditures.
• Introduce and maintain new collection strategies and campaigns.
• Manage employee diversity.
• Ensure that staff, at all times, are skilled and training is constantly receiving attention.
• Maintain succession planning.
• Maintain a high level of customer service.
• Maintain Performance Management.
• Control and maintain management information.
• Report to Executive on results and changes of Home Loans Collections.
• People Management, responsible for people management practices such as resourcing, equity, training, development and performance management..
• Liaise with business partners on developments within Home Loans Collections, and their needs.
• Control and maintain credit policies and procedures.
• Maintain and control Business Continuity Plan.
• Any ad-hoc function delegated by management.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Paralegal Diploma
- 3-5 years experience in managing a Collections unit.
- 3 years general banking experience to provide a broad based understanding of the various business units.
• Sound understanding of policies, procedures & governance adopted within PBB Credit.
• Knowledge and understanding of the regulatory environment governing financial services in the business.
• A comprehensive knowledge of valuations principles, the application thereof in relationship to mortgage lending
• A comprehensive understanding of the construction industry, building contracts, township developments and related property issues
• Proven field, technical and administrative capabilities.
• Knowing Home Loans product will be an advantage
• Knowledge of Legal Foreclosure process
APPLY NOW – Click Here